Powered By Blogger

Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

SMILE & TEARS

Both smile and tears play significant role in expressing emotion. From what I learnt in Emotion Management, it is proven across culture that laughing is an expression of happiness and crying is an expression of sadness. But in some other time and situation, different things could happen; it happens the other way around.

Tear is a tool of expressing feelings. Most of the time, it became a manifestation of sadness. But there are some other times people would cry of happiness. ‘Tears of joy’ some would say. I have witnessed it a few times. A friend of mine can’t help it but to cry after a moment of laughing. Amazing how one would cry out of happiness. But I take it as her expression of being super happy on that particular time. That proves that we are having a real good moment together as friends that she can move to tears from a wackiest laugh. That’s fine with my other friends and me.

‘Tears of joy’. I first heard of it when I watch a drama of one who had just deliver a baby. Most mothers would cry just after they hold their babies. Delivering babies is a miracle I would say. Just amazing of how a human being lives in and came out from a mother. That situation and feeling’s indescribable. Not that I have give birth to a baby, it just that, looking at a baby makes me feel the happiness that the mother felt. I would love to feel that one day.

To see one cry out of happiness is soothing enough but if it happens the other way around? What would you say?

One could laugh the loudest, wackiest and in most ridiculous way to hide her true feelings. I read somewhere; it says ‘when one smiles when she is supposed to cry, she is actually holding her most inner sadness inside’. *Something like that. It’s real hard to tell if one is in deep sad feelings when she is laughing. Maybe they are just not ready to share or maybe she thought that there’s not use of shedding tears for things which had happened. Or maybe it’s just too deep to bring it out surface.

I also share the same experience with a friend who tends to hide his sadness with a laugh. We hang out, we laugh, we smile, we talk, and I can’t trace a single sparks of sadness in his presence. He is almost the same as other friends that I talked to. One day, he told me that he is facing the hardest moment in his life. His family is breaking up, and he can’t do anything about that. That’s a big test for anyone who just can’t afford to lose grip. But he survived. I am happy and grateful that he can overcome what had happened.

I have some of those experience myself. Just when I want to cry hard, the tears just won’t come. I can literally feels the bitterness in my throat, but not a single tear came out. I swallow what I felt. Now I know that in the hardest moment and situation, our mind and consciousness tells us not to break down. Just breathe and pray that it would be okay. Thank God, I feel better then, and now.

Maybe in some rare moment, we tend to hide what we feel because it is too big and private to share with other. But we must never forget that there are a lot of people who are willing to share our happiness and sadness. Sadness which is shared became thinner; happiness which is shared became thicker.

SHARING IS CARING.


No comments:

Post a Comment